Munich Center of the Learning Sciences

Links and Functions

Breadcrumb Navigation


Student Health Insurance

The German University requires that all students show proof of German Health Insurance at the time of registration. Enrolment at the University is not possible without this. When you sign a policy with a German health insurance company and pay for at least the first month of coverage, you should request a letter from the company specifically designed for registration at the University. This letter proves your coverage and is necessary for enrollment.

For students under 30 years of age, full public health insurance coverage costs approximately 80 Euro per month. Examples of public health insurance companies are Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) and Allgemeine Orts-Krankenkasse (AOK). For more information, we suggest viewing the Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) website at: and then click for English language. With some companies, students must pay the fees for the entire semester (six months) in advance. With other companies, it is possible to pay the fees monthly through a German bank account.

Public health insurance for those over 30 years of age costs approximately 140-200 Euro per month. DAAD offers a slightly more affordable option. For more information, please see their web site at: As a student over 30, you might also consider signing a policy with a private health insurance company or looking for an insurance from your home country that would cover you in Germany.
In case you decide to have a private health insurance, please mind that you need to go to a public health insurance company to get a letter stating that you are exempted from public health insurance. You can use this letter to request the document from the public insurance. Please take the certificate of insurance from the private health insurance company with you!

Some more helpful information on health insurance in Germany can be found here (external link; select your preferred language)

Whatever option you choose, make sure to have the proper documents certifying your coverage with you (you might need more than one document from different sources!).